Friday 8 November 2013

Homeschooling-active ways to learn letters and their sounds

I haven't posted much about our first year of homeschooling. To be perfectly honest, I have felt very insecure in this adventure.  When people asked how it was going I would start this rambling rant about how we are taking it slow because after all it is just kindergarten and Munch is a natural learner so I am just making sure I am more intentional, blah, blah, blah... Now, I just say, "It's going well, thank-you." 

I have discovered that Munch loves math, science and art but is not too keen on language arts.  He becomes this ditzy, squirmy, hard to focus boy and I have to be on it to keep him on task (that was me with Math).  With that in mind, I came up with "off your butt" ways to learn letters and their sounds.  When it is an active game it doesn't feel like learning.  Grandma bought him some alphabet flash cards and we have been using those every day (thanks, Grandma S.)

Some fun ways to use Alphabet flash cards:

We scrambled the letters all over the floor and Munch would have to find the letters in order and make a train across the floor. Bubblegum loved the singing the ABCs song over and over. Interestingly enough, the last picture in the cards is zamboni, which was used to clean up the train when we were done.    

We found items around our house that started with each letter and taped them or clothes-pinned them to the item (speaking of that, I think he still has the U for "us"on his shirt in the laundry hamper).  

We also had a scavenger hunt for each card and then had to put each letter in order. Bubblegum was happy to participate in this activity and surprised me with the letters he recognized.  

I guess I can do this homeschool thing after all....

No comments:

Post a Comment