Friday 19 April 2013

A Prayerful Conversation


The boys and I tried the Clean Finger Painting from a previous post of mine and we came up with some pretty magnificent works of art.  I had some used canvases that were failed mod podge pictures so we used those with my acrylic paint (when do 2 year olds get, to paint with acrylics?).  We used old Ziploc bags as our plastic and duck tape (yes, we actually have a product called "duck" tape in our home.)   What is great about acrylic paint is you can get texture into the picture, that's what we enjoyed the most, I think.  However, I know that kids would love any type of paint.  Definitely a "will do again" activity.






If any of you have or have had a two year old,  you will understand the week I have had.  Actually Mom's of two year olds? I am not sure if anyone had told you (no one told me until after) that three can be just as hard.  Bubblegum has always been a handful.  I thought we had gone through the "terrible" stage but it seems we have taken a new turn.  The thing is, every child is different, so you can't necessarily apply the same tactics that you did with your first; at least that is what we are finding.  I know that I need to get on my knees and get to work all while remembering that it doesn't last forever.  I look at Munch now and cannot believe the battles we used to have with him.
Here is a prayerful conversation I had after a rough day with "two".



Hiding out in the office with a handful of the kids' chocolate easter eggs, a twisty pony tail made by a 4 year old boy on the side of my head and a heavy heart.  "Where did I go wrong?" I open up another foiled egg.  I thought the day could end at 7:30 when I put them to bed with the last bit of fight I had.  "Lord, help me to finish well."  I can still hear them thumping and planning above me.  I just know they are devising the best plan to throw me right over the edge.  The day started out well.  They even slept in.  Somehow though, it just progressively got worse and worse and worse.  Midday, we all lost it, baby and Daddy included, and I packed them all up and took them to the library (smart place to take misbehaving kids, hah!).  That was a nice hour. Then we returned to our home. There was battle over toys, over lunch, over clothes, over diaper changes, over supper, over movies, bedtime snacks, toothpaste, bedtime stories, prayer.  I was slapped, kicked, and had a stool thrown at me. "I cast all spirits of violence out of this 2 year old, in Jesus' name." (come on, we've all done it).
 What was it?  Too much sugar, not enough attention, too much attention, not enough sleep, not enough fresh air, too many "no's". not enough?  "Come on experts! Tell me what I did wrong today?!"  Breathe.
Consider it pure joy, when you face many trials. For you know when your faith is tested your endurance will surely grow. (a)
Breathe.
Let us not grow weary of doing good, for in due season we will reap if we do not give up.(b)
Breathe.
And surely, I am with you always, even to very end of the age. (1)
Breathe.
"Jesus, I am tired.  I can't do this.  I am so tired."
Come to me all who labour and are heavy laden and I will give you rest. (2)
Breathe.
"What is wrong with this child? Is it just two?  Is he deficient in something?  Has he ingested too much yellow dye #5?"
Cast all your anxieties on him, because he cares for you? (3)
"Why me? Why now?"
Trust in the Lord with all your heart and do not lean on your own understanding. (4)
"I don't know what to do.  What will work with this one.  I am at a loss."
If any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask God, who gives generously to all without reproach, and it will be given him. (5)
Breathe.
"I can't do it."
No, in all these things we are more than conquers through him who loved us. (6)
You can do all things through Christ who strengthens you. (7)
"But...I don't even like him right now."
Love your enemies. (8)
"Forgive me for even saying that. Uggghhh."
If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. (8)
"No seriously, how could you ever forgive me for saying such a thing? I feel so bad."
As far as the east is from the west, so far does he remove our transgressions from us. (9)
"Wow.  Teach me how to love like you do"
God's love has been poured into our hearts through the Holy Spirit who has been given to us.  (10)
For God gave us a spirit not of fear but of power and love and of self-control.(11)
We love because he first loved us.(12)
Breathe.
"Thank you."
 The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases;his mercies never come to an end; they are new every morning; great is your faithfulness.
"The Lord is my portion", says my soul. "Therefore, I will hope in him." (13)


(a)James 1:2,(b)Galations 6:9(1)Matthew 28:20,(2)Matthew 11:28,(3)1Peter 5:7,(4)Proverbs 3:5(5)James 1:5,(6)Romans 8:37,(7)Philippians 4:13,(8)Matthew 5:44,(9)Psalm 103:12,(10)Romans 5:5,(12)1John 4:19,(13)Lamentations 3:22-24 English Standard Version. Holy Bible 




No comments:

Post a Comment