Thursday 17 January 2013

I got hit by a chinook!



The great Chinook Arch 


Chinook winds (pron.: /ʃɪˈnʊk/), often called chinooks, commonly refers to foehn winds[1] in the interior West of North America, where the Canadian Prairies and Great Plains meet various mountain ranges, although the original usage is in reference to wet, warm coastal winds in the Pacific Northwest of the United States of America.[2]
  A strong Chinook can make snow one foot deep almost vanish in one day. The snow partly melts and partly evaporates in the dry wind. Chinook winds have been observed to raise winter temperature, often from below -20°C (-4°F) to as high as 10-20°C (50-68°F) for a few hours or days, then temperatures plummet to their base levels.

Today is a Chinook day. It is 8 degrees and windy.  These days are bitter sweet.  On one hand, it is a nice break from cold weather.  On the other hand they cause wicked headaches or migraines for some people, they tend to make me feel nauseous and give my kids poor sleep.  It's a love/hate thing.  I am sure for those into their third month of below 0 temperatures, it seems glorious (like my parents in Northern Manitoba where it is -30.) For that I will say, "Yay for chinooks!" We can walk to the mailbox in coats undone and no mittens or toques, yay for not having to shovel or let the car run before driving. Yay!  This balmy weather is really helping me with my New Year's resolution to get outside everyday.


Need a kids' Bible?  

Our family loves the Jesus Storybook Bible.  The writing is so good that even Ryan and I have learned something out of it when we've read it.  All the stories, from Genesis to Revelation point to the One that it is all about-The Rescuer, Jesus Christ.  There is a cd version that the boys love going to bed too.  I am very excited that they have now come out with a dvd version and curriculum.  I think I convinced our church leadership to use it in our Sunday School (it helps that my kids are 3 out of 8 kids in our church family).  



Aren't preschooler conversations hilarious? Here are some of the things that my boys said that made me laugh today: 
-(the 4 year old to the 2 year old) "No, that is not a museum, a museum is another word for a zoo. 
-(2 year old during a conversation about what kind of girl the 4 year old wants to marry) "Mine, biiiig!" Then shows his muscles. (4 year old) "My wife is going to bigger and stronger than his wife"
-"I have good news and bad news. I am going to tell you the good news first, okay?"  To which he made up some good news and bad news.  
Once our other two really start talking, I can only imagine the crazy conversations that will be had. I can't wait!  
Have a great Friday!  


No comments:

Post a Comment