Friday 25 January 2013

The Rebelution

I was told by a friend and blog reader that maybe I should chill out a bit and not write so many posts.  When I mentioned this to another friend, she totally agreed and admitted that she couldn't keep up.  Funny, because for some reason, I was thinking that this is what one must do when one has a blog...  stay up into the wee hours every night writing away so that readers have a slice every day.  I admit, I have been very tired and my bathrooms have been neglected so....I will heed this wise council and start posting blogs every 2-3 days, depending on what's going on.  I will always try to have a new one for Saturday mornings; kind of like a Saturday morning paper with your coffee.  Now maybe some of you can catch up a bit.  Thank you so much for the amazing support. I am still really enjoying this.  Next week, I will posting some great sleep advice from my friend and kid sleep expert, Michelle Todd. 
Today, I remembered the story of some unique teenagers named Alex and Brett Harris.  They wrote a book together called "Do Hard Things" and also have a movement called The Rebelution.  Here is a little of their description of the movement:


The official definition of the 'rebelution' is "a teenage rebellion against low expectations." When you look around today, our culture does not expect much of us young people. We are not only expected to do very little that is wise or good, but we're expected to do the opposite. Our media-saturated youth culture is constantly reinforcing lower and lower standards and expectations.
The word 'rebelution' is a combination of the words "rebellion" and "revolution." So it carries a sense of an uprising against social norms. But in this case, it's not a rebellion against God-established authority, but against the low expectations of our society. It's a refusal to be defined by our ungodly, rebellious, and apathetic culture. Actually, we like to think of it as rebelling against rebellion.

Ryan and I were so impressed when we heard them speak on Focus on the Family a few years back.  We had just started discipling a group of youth so it was so relevant and timely.  If you want to check out more here is the website: http://www.therebelution.com/
The book is filled with stories that will challenge teenagers to live with purpose now and to encourage them to believe that they have much to offer the world and not to wait until they are "adults". 

Easy game to make with a non-destructive ball! Yay! 

For the Pinterest Best Activity of the Week, I thought I would go with something simple.  This is just fun and hopefully will help your kids to play together for, you know, 5 minutes!!! (I am trying to teach my boys that when playing hockey, you don't need to fight over who gets the puck and who gets the ball, you play together with one of them, so far they just want to do slap shots by themselves.)  The idea apparently came from the blog http://theweekendhomemaker.com/ but I can't find it on there.  If she had one nice idea though, I am sure there's more where that came from, just wanted to give her creds. 

Speaking of Pinterest, enjoy these funny Pinterest fails that I totally relate to.  Thanks Dorie!  








Hope you had a good laugh and lightened up on yourself and your Pinterest expectations like I did.  Have a great weekend! 
-Angela

No comments:

Post a Comment